This 'Kamado' adapter has multiple variations designed for Kamado smokers such as Primo, Kamado Big Joe, Big Green Egg, Dragon, Akorn and even ugly drum smokers like Pit Barrel Cooker that may be using a slot vent.
It's compatible with the guru brand of draft control adaptors, so you can use a Smartfire in a guru adaptor if you are upgrading.
PS, includes a red silicone kill plug!
There are multiple dimensions available, please choose wisely according to your smoker type. If unsure, measure the vertical height of the sliding vent insert in your smoker! Check the 'guides' tab for more info!
Known measurements include:
Kamado Small 45x72mm
- UDS with 45mm high horizontal slot vent (such as Big Poppa Smokers / BPS)
With the optional Kamado Clip (not included, purchase separately), the height range is 45mm, 54-60mm, 72-83mm. This means you can use it on
Kamado Standard 83x72mm
Includes Kamado Clip which makes it easy to mount from the front without unscrewing side screws etc.
- Primo XL
- Big Green Egg Medium or Large
- Kamado Joe Classic
- Kamado Joe Series II (KJ2)
Turned sideways to 72mm:
- Pit Boss (ie Costco)
- Vision Grills Classic B / C
Note, this adaptor ships by default with the Kamado Clip. This increases the adaptor's range to 72-86mm (83mm wide), 83-97mm (72mm wide).
This increases the range to include:
- Kamado Big Joe (95mm)
- Big Green Egg XL
Kamado Big 95x83mm
It's recommended to buy the Standard size if possible, as its easier to mount/dismount from the front with the sliding clip.
95mm long side:
- Kamado Big Joe
- Pit Barrel Cooker
- Big Green Egg XL
- Gateway Drum Smokers
- Drum smokers with teardrop air inlet
Other sizes known are:
The adaptor comes perfectly flat so its recommended to introduce a little bend to the ends of the metal to match the gentle curve of the vent slider channel. First figure out which way you will orientate the adaptor with your smoker, you can line it up with the vent slider to make sure, as you only want to bend the left and right hand sides. Then place it on the end of a solid surface (kitchen bench etc) facing up towards you and gently push the last 25mm (1") towards the ground to provide a gentle curve of ~3mm (1/8").
To use it, you simply insert the Smartfire Controller into the precisely machined female adapter end. To avoid moisture leakage into the case, you'll want the probe holes to face down - though in good weather quite a few people turn theirs sideways 'gangsta style' to observe the Smartfire controller light.
- It includes a silicone red kill plug to seal the adaptor when you do not have the Smartfire Controller plugged in, it keeps the bugs out! Note, silicone is resistant to 260C so don't use it if the pit has been super hot.
- You slide your original vent in on the right to seal the opening gap
- Pit Barrel Cooker: You can unscrew the swinging circular cover and place the Large Kamado Adaptor inside the pit (after curving the metal to suit).Use a pencil to markwhere the old bolthole matches up to the adaptor. Pull the adaptor out of the pit and drill it to suit the bolthole and nut. Place back in pit and use the oldbolt and nut to secure the adaptor. Checkout this Facebook post for photos!